Sunday, July 25, 2010

Swimming and getting ready for fair




Maddie had a swim meet today. She did very well and came in first, second and third in various events. Her relay team was first and even beat the four boys teams. Go girls! Madison swam well considering she is in the 11/12 age bracket. Some of her competitors were almost a foot taller so she had to swim pretty hard. I was very proud.

We ate a jar of pickles. It was fantastic, salty , sour and crunchy. Jar two was way too salty. I'm not sure if we screwed up a batch or if it was jar to jar. Perhaps the salt was not totally dissolved and ended up in one jar. The green beans are wonderful I think. The girls don't care for them. They do have a distinct green bean flavor, but they are also spicy, crunchy and tart. I am eating through my second jar already. Tonight I am pairing with a nice Shiraz.

We have tons of green tomatoes, I feel like they will never ripen. Adrianna harvested some really nice baby carrots from the garden, along with cucumbers, onion and greens. Hopefully she will have some nice veggies for fair. She is working on her gardening workbook and learning lots about planning a garden and soil types.

Lame turkey is limping on the hurt leg, but is bearing some weight on it. Hopefully she will be okay by fair. We now have a little rabbit, "Tipsy", with a pronounced head tilt. This does not usually bode well for rabbits. Tipsy doesn't seem to be in any pain, so we have her on antibiotics and we will wait and see. To round out the gimp squad, one of Maddie's baby pigeons was injured, perhaps by a turkey. "Lucky", seems to be recovering well and will hopefully make it.

Five days until the first rabbit show of fair kicks off. We are in crunch mode. Record books, record books! I am trying not to be overwhelmed with the thought of two rabbit shows, a poster on butterfly gardening, a butterfly decorated cake, two batches of cookies and six record books by Monday. Whew! Well, we always seem to get through it.

I went school supply shopping today. Three stores and $120 later, I think we are nearly there. There were a lot of deals to be had. $1 crayola markers, 0.25 crayola crayons, 0.15 notebooks. I bought a little extra for Operation Christmas Child although I am not sure if we'll be able to pull out much this year for it.

The girls have backpacks ready to go. Thankfully I bought three on clearance last fall. All we need now is kleenex, paper towels and tape. Every year it seems like we need to provide more and more basic supplies for the classroom. If the major school budget propositions pass in November, I think we'll have to send kids with their own toilet paper. I also got some stuff for Conner and Viv so they wouldn't be left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment